Monday 27 February 2012

Young Love

I met up with an old friend recently and we had a lot to catch up on, he's a philosophical soul, and as we giggled over our pints of cider we discussed life. Our opinions contrasting yet complementing each other, he has lived his life by the beach in sunny California, where as I have always lived on the outskirts of London.

We talked about love and relationships past and present, and where I still find myself very much dazed and confused by the subject, he did offer a moment of clarity when he exclaimed... We are all just searching for young love, the love you fall head over heels into without caution or hesitation, where you love passionately and freely with all of your heart blissfully unaware of any of life's pressures or responsibilities. Unfortunately this kind of love rarely lasts and when it ends it scars us. We then go on to yearn not for that person but for the feeling we had when we were with them. But experience and wisdom teaches us not to be so reckless with our hearts for fear of being hurt again. We build metaphorical walls of protection around us and make those who want to love us work hard to get in. And as we grow up, making lives for ourselves our priorities change, and love is never the same, it takes a back seat to work, obligation and responsibility... Young love becomes a hazy memory, a dream.

It makes sense however much I'd like to believe I can prove the theory wrong. I suppose I too am afraid of falling so deeply in love that love itself has the power to drown you. Can you emerse yourself so deeply in another without suffocating? And can you really trust another person if you make them responsible for your happiness? I guess I'll have to wait and see... Bob Marley once said "The truth is everyone's going to hurt you, you just got to find the ones worth suffering for"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...